Tuesday, December 13, 2016

We are Idol Factories

“What has your ear in your daily life? If it’s not God and His Word you will grow complacent.” This statement was made by our preacher during last week’s sermon, and it rings particularly true in my life. Looking back I can clearly see that every time I’ve grown complacent in my spiritual walk, it was because something else stepped in and grasped my attention and affections. Recently I went through a very dry spell in my spiritual life, and I couldn’t pinpoint the problem. Thankfully, through prayer, the Word, and my husband gently prodding me as to whether unconfessed sin could be the issue in my life, God revealed to me that an idol had, in fact, crept in unnoticed. What was the idol? I’m sad to say it was screen time; too much social media, email, television, Internet, yada, yada, yada. Leave it up to me to take something that can be helpful and turn it into an idol. It was only when I recognized the idol I created that I was able to confess and repent of my sin, and it was as though a huge weight had been lifted off me.


Idols can come in many different forms. I tried to brainstorm all the different idols I’ve had in my life as far back as I can remember, even in my childhood. Here’s the list I came up with: man's approval and acceptance, beauty, good grades, new clothes, attention from the opposite sex, having a baby, social media, television, the desire for a house that looked like it was straight off the pages of Better Homes and Gardens, and wanting to look super-spiritual. I’m sure I didn't think of all my past idols - my list is most certainly incomplete - but my point is this: Life is a constant battle. With so many people, things, and ideas in this world vying for our affections, what are we supposed to do? We must saturate ourselves in God’s Word and keep our eyes focused upon Christ. We must confess our sin quickly and rest fully in God’s grace. And we must cut off our idols and root ourselves wholly in Christ. Here’s a quote I jotted down from the sermon this past Sunday: “The battle of the Christian life is fought in the mind but won at the cross.” Amen! The battle has already been won in Christ. His shed blood and atonement for sins brings about the ultimate victory for those who trust in Him. This life is not easy, nor is it supposed to be, but God’s amazing grace and saving power seal us “with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory” (Ephesians 1:13b-14)

Love,
Kristen

1 comment:

  1. I can relate. My idol was fear. Fear of change, fear of rejection, fear of loss. After reading that "perfect love casts out fear" and being reminded of God's love in 1 John, my heart was pierced and though not instantly, everything is finding its proper place...away from fear. Thank you for sharing your heart. It encourages me.

    ReplyDelete